Scales for your cosplay - tutorial by Germia

Dragonkin Skadi from Smite
cosplay by Germia
photo by Milos Mlady photo


Making scale armor on your cosplay can be tough and time-consuming, but the result really pays off!


I was working on my foam scale armor for the last few months, so I'll describe you the process of my work and maybe show you some other ways how to make scale maille for your cosplay :)




1) Scales

Making 3D scales from foam is not very hard work, but since you need mostly a lot of them, ti can be very time-consuming. I recommend doing always each step for all the scales, so you can work faster.
Start by making a pattern of your scale - for my cosplay of Dragonkin Skadi, I had different shapes of scales on bracers, skirt, pauldrons and cape, so always think about the shape you need first and make a pattern. It's good to bend the paper and make the pattern symmetrical by drawing only half of it on one side and getting the second side the same when cut with scissors.
Transfer the pattern on foam - I've used 0,5 mm foam by polyprops. Cut the scales and dremmel the edges a little to make them a little round and organic.
Mark the symmetrical middle on your scales and cut there a V shape with a very sharp knife - but do not cut all through, just into middle of the foam's mass. Put a contact cement glue inside the cavity, let it dry a little and glue it together - the scale will make a roof shape. Then take a soldering iron or woodburning iron and draw cracks into the scales for better organic look. Glue your scales onto the place, prime them, paint them and you are done :)
If you need more pictures to see, check out my instagram stories collection regarding Dragonkin Skadi WIP pics :)

Making scales is really time-consuming and it maybe doesn't fit your needs, so I marked down few alternatives, that can help you with your scales making:

1) Flat foam scales to purchase 

Some shops offer foam scales, that are already cut into desired shape from high quality foam - it can be and alternative to the time-consuming cutting of your own ones!
I've seen them HERE or HERE.




2) 3D printed scalemaille

If you own a 3D printer, you can use it to print your own scalemaille without any problems. You just need a 3D printer, filament and a meshed fabric to print the scales on. I actually don't know who came up with this amazing idea, but I know a guy, who tries to improve this idea further - making snap-on scales and other great stuff HERE.
Or you can just download the files for them HERE



3) Real scalemaille 

I think I don't have to mention, that you can make your own scalemaille from bought metal scales and attach them on chainmaille, but if you are not familiar with that technique, check out for example this VIDEO.




4) Fabric scalesYou can also cut your scales from leather and paint them with acrylic or leather colors -  see my Paladin build for more info HERE.


5) Others

There are many different techniques how to make scales on your armor - depending on the size and properties you need, choose your materials accordingly :)
P.S. - some people use also plastic spoons!




Dragonkin Skadi from Smite
cosplay by Germia
photo by Milos Mlady photo
I hope this article will be useful for someone and if yes, you can follow my work on cosplay (and other stuff) on my FACEBOOK PAGE or TWITTER or INSTAGRAM.

And if you like this stuff I do, you can support my work by donating on my PATREON.


Yours
Germia

Penulis : germia ~ Sebuah blog yang menyediakan berbagai macam informasi

Artikel Scales for your cosplay - tutorial by Germia ini dipublish oleh germia pada hari čtvrtek 12. července 2018. Semoga artikel ini dapat bermanfaat.Terimakasih atas kunjungan Anda silahkan tinggalkan komentar.sudah ada 0 komentar: di postingan Scales for your cosplay - tutorial by Germia
 

0 komentářů:

Okomentovat