How to make SWORD for cosplay by Germia + Apollyon sword tutorial

Sword is that kind of a prop, that every cosplayer will work on some day in their "cosplay life" and there are a lot of ways how to make one depending on it's size, desired features, weight.

I have already made some swords, that I've already written about and you can check them out in their dedicated articles:

PALADIN COSPLAY - plywood core, polystyrene, papermache, latext cement, foam, leather

XENA COSPLAY - polystyrene core, worbla, leather

ANNA VALERIOUS COSPLAY  - foam core, worbla, velvet

And also we've made a panel about the sword topic at Animefest with Ali and Ketrin that you can check out in czech language right here:




Cut through a sword prop - red material is hard, black is soft
Sword building types:

According to the size, shape and desired properties, you can divide swords into 4 categories:

1) HARD SHELL

= Soft core and infill, hard shell
This type of construction is suitable for shorter swords and daggers, it is not ideal for longer and bigger swords.
Advantage: low weight, simple construction

Soft material: Styrene, EVA foam
Hard material: Thermoplastics, papermaché

Example: Anna Valerious sword
I started with foam, that I cit nad dremmeled into the right shape and I covered the whole thing in worbla.


2) HARD CORE

= Hard core, soft infill and no shell
This type of construction is suitable for any kind of sword with enough thiskness to be able to absorb the core.
Advantage: realtive low weight (depending on the core used), simple construction, some cores allws for the sword to be disassembled.

Soft material: EVA foam - the more dense foam, the sturdier and durable the outcome
Hard material for core: wood (stick, plank), plywood (plan or cut in shape), plastic plumbing

Example: Apollyon sword (more about this follows)


3) DOUBLE REINFORCEMENT

= Hard core, soft infill, hard shell
This type of construction is suitable for any kind of sword with enough thiskness to be able to absorb the core.
Advantage: very sturdy (but high weight)

Soft material: EVA foam, Styrene
Hard material for core: wood (stick, plank), plywood (plan or cut in shape), plastic plumbing
HARD material for shell: Thermoplastics, papermaché

Example: Paladin sword - cut plywood, styrene foam cut in shape, papermaché, ltex cement + foam decorations.




4) FULL REINFORCEMENT


= fully hard, made from the same material
This type of construction is suitable for any kind of sword with material, that can withstand a lot of damage

Material: 3D printed from filament, Resin casted

Example: Megari dagger

You always have to use certain hardness of material not to end up with a brittle prop. When 3D printing, think about the amount and pattern of infill, wall thickness and used materials (some materials can withstand much more pressure and are not so brittle - read here)






Apollyon's sword

Patterning this sword is described in THIS ARTICLE.
I decided to use the construction of hard core and soft material on the outside for this project. I really needed this super long sword to be sturdy (hard core) and I also wanted to make a lot of decorations and effects similar to the rest of the foam armor. I decided not to cover my sword in worbla to keep it lightweight and match with the rest of the armor. I was also sure that poly-props CF100 foam would withstand a lot of damage by itself because of it's high density.



I started with a wooden plank and wooden stick, that I cut and glued and srewed together. I also cut the plank on the tip into a pointed shape (but still dull not to hurt anybody)



The I cut the 5mm CF100 foam in shape of the sword and glued it from both sides around the plank leaving the spot for the base of the wooden stick out, so it merges into the sword. I reinforced the sides of the sword with papermaché and ice cream sticks, which I drilled and glued into the plank too.




I wrapped the handle in a piece of foam and 3dmodelled and printed the swirly decoration for the top of the sword.



I added a lot of other pieces of  5mm and 2mm foam to the sword for decorations adn dremmeled a lot to get the sword into the right shape. I also streamed a lot of this work on my twitch channel, you can watch it in videos below.




Then I made two leather sleeves from old scraps of leather, sewed them on my sewing machine, decorated them, glued the falps inside, turned upside down and I put them on the handle and glued them in place. For the whole project I used woodglue for glueing the wooden core pieces, contact cement for all the foam and leather pieces and ot glue for glueing the 3D printed part in place.




The 3D printed swirl was primed with gray primer and filler, sanded and glued onto the sword. I made a hat to cover this part from 5mm foam and foam clay. I also made some battle damage using my dremel



Then I proceeded to decorate the sword further with 2mm foam (moosgummi) and I also fixed with foamclay and dremmeled all the seams. More about fixing seams IN THIS ARTICLE.


Then I primed the foam pieces with SEAL PRIME by polyprops. I made the same texture as on the rest of the armor using THIS TECHNIQUE. And I painted it with black and silver acrylic colors using sponge technique.



The finished sword measures 160 cm, is fairly lightweight and thanks to high density foam withstands a lot of damage.










Here are all the videos of my progress on the sword I streamed:




Sledujte hru Apollyon sword - crafting 1 od uživatele DATgermia na adrese www.twitch.tv

Sledujte hru Apollyon sword 2 od uživatele DATgermia na adrese www.twitch.tv

Sledujte hru Apollyon sword 3 od uživatele DATgermia na adrese www.twitch.tv


Sledujte hru Apollyon sword 4 od uživatele DATgermia na adrese www.twitch.tv


Sledujte hru Making old metal look on foam armor od uživatele DATgermia na adrese www.twitch.tv




And that's it! I hope this article will be useful for someone and if yes, you can follow my work on cosplay (and other stuff) on my FACEBOOK PAGE or TWITTER or INSTAGRAM


And if you like this stuff I do, you can support my work by donating on my PATREON, because their donations made this tutorial possible.



Yours

Germia



Penulis : germia ~ Sebuah blog yang menyediakan berbagai macam informasi

Artikel How to make SWORD for cosplay by Germia + Apollyon sword tutorial ini dipublish oleh germia pada hari středa 17. dubna 2019. Semoga artikel ini dapat bermanfaat.Terimakasih atas kunjungan Anda silahkan tinggalkan komentar.sudah ada 0 komentar: di postingan How to make SWORD for cosplay by Germia + Apollyon sword tutorial
 

0 komentářů:

Okomentovat